Friday, March 20, 2009

Sharing Wounded Love

Losing a spouse leaves a deep wound. For the rest of your life, I suppose. My friend Dan recently told me "You never get over it." Does this woundedness keep you in the valley forever then?? No. I think not. But how does this affect your capacity to live, to minister, to give love?

Consider this: All true love is wounded love. In fact, the Cross is the supreme example of wounded love for "HE was wounded for our transgressions." Somehow I think OUR wounds are meant to take us to the Cross where we gaze on the scar that heals all wounds. Then we begin to love as people who have received HIS healing love. In that way our deepest wound can become the spot where the love of Jesus overflows into the lives of those around us.

I am mindful of my wound as I try to encourage a young prospective missionary, reach out to the family, or encourage a disheartened friend. But I am confident that we together can cling to the knowledge that "by HIS stripes we are healed."

No comments: