Monday, March 2, 2009

Modest Peaks Pop Up in the Valley

Today I realized that I am not just walking endlessly through a long dry valley any more. I sometimes feel like I am climbing a gentle slope and looking out toward the horizon. For example, I recently experienced the song Blessed Be Your Name in a setting that prompted me to believe I might be nearing a season in which God is "giving new things" at a rate faster than He is "taking them away." The song has now become more than a painful memory of Nancy's funeral. It announces my hope that life may again hold more of the "goodness of the Lord in the land of the living."

But those high points can be swiftly followed by the realization that I have some more steps to take before I climb out of this valley. And since last week I have been remembering that my kids slog through this valley as well.

Still, these brief ascents are nourishing my soul. They lift my eyes onward and upward toward the higher calling of my Lord. Besides doesn't HE also promise to allow us to walk with hinds feet on high places?

No comments: