Sunday, March 1, 2009

The Man Who Recruited Me to WHM


Thirteen years ago today I was in upstate New York for a missions conference when my brothers called me to tell me that Dad had left this earth. He never went to high school, but he had put three sons through college. His example taught me to pursue my dreams with determination, give everything I have to the task at hand, and take great delight in the fruit of my labor. Though he never tried to "disciple" me, the lessons he taught me in the fields of our Kansas farm took me to "mission fields" around the world.
He had prepared me to understand the meaning of Jesus' words in John 4.35 "the fields are ripe for harvest." In later years I told his story from pulpits and lecterns across the globe. This night I honor him as I continue to press on toward that which he has already claimed.

2 comments:

Leah said...

GREAT PICTURE

Unknown said...

i have no doubt your dad would be very proud of the man you turned out to be. sometimes the loudest lessons we hear are the ones that are found in the most unexpected places, like corn fields and kitchen tables