Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Seven Successful Deliveries

Today I extended the image of WHM's A&O (Candidate Week) being like having babies. This morning began with a friend's email "delivery" of "scrubs" for the Delivery Room. During the morning I decided to play out that image for all it was worth as we worked to make decisions about the seven missionary candidates. Each decision to appoint was greeted with the comment that we had twins, triplets and all the way up to "Septuplets." By then the rest of the Appointment Team were rolling their eyes, accusing me of bouncing off the walls and threatening to throw their laptops at me. But I persevered in response to the great joy I find in helping folks move out in faith, and a friend's prayers that I experience laughter each day. (Well, I was laughing.)


It was a sober and wonderful thing to appoint a family who rejected a cushy medical practice for the challenges of healing in Western Uganda, a couple who had recently endured his fifteen months in a combat zone and are now willing to enter a spiritual combat zone for the name of Jesus, three singles beginning to pursue Kingdom Dreams. Truly, Kingdom Work is far too important to undertake joylessly. So, join HIM in laughing as fun-filled faith chases away the darkness this day.

1 comment:

Piper said...

First the Hunters, now the Hoekmans! You're grabbing all our friends, Dan. Seriously, we rejoice with them for the road they are traveling and that they get to take some of their first steps with you, even with the overwrought metaphors.

Yours and His,
teamFordham