Thursday, March 5, 2009

Grazing

My relationship to food changed somewhere along this road. I love to eat! I used to count the hours between meals. But, the thought "only two more hours 'til I strap on the feedback!" has been replaced by "Oh crap, It's 5pm! I gotta figure out what's for dinner tonight!"

Once again I confess that we had a "traditional" approach to cooking. She cooked, I ate. Not a great background for my current situation. People have been more than good about "feeding me" from time to time. But more often than not, Dan-O is on his own when the dinner bell rings these days. And slowly I learned that crock pot prep is pretty cool, that an omelet is a viable dinner option, that throwing a piece of meat into the skillet gets you half way there. Still, I don't see myself appearing as a finalist on Top Chef next season. I just don't get seasoning.

There is aways eating out. But you only have to hear the host at a restaurant patronizingly ask, "Only one?" to decide you aren't going to eat out solo all that often. And when you do have a companion at a restaurant, you are so taken by the chance for meal conversation that you forget to eat. Recently, a friend patiently waited for me to finish my steak and baked potato and waited, and waited. Two hours into the meal I let the waitress clear my plate. Ah, the conversation was far more nourishing anyway.

Of course, I have dropped a few pounds this past year. Not a bad thing for a guy who didn't wear horizontal stripes as a kid. (Not a slimming look, after all.) Yep, walking this road impacts just about every part of your life. You either learn to embrace the new adventure or shrivel into a mound of self pity. Help me ascend Mount Adventure!! The vale of Self-pity is too dark to inhabit.

No comments: