Wednesday, October 1, 2008

A month in Glory

Nancy spent the month of September in Glory. I spent the month of September in Glenside. I am sure she got the better end of the deal, but I am not going to complain. We were both dwelling where Our Father had placed us. HE knows best.

The sense of "journeying together" is actually growing, even though Nancy's role as a fellow traveller has changed. For years, her loving example instructed me. Now I don't watch her showing me how to follow Christ; instead, I have to pause and reflect on the lessons she taught me.

Although Nancy could be painfully shy at times, she was tenacious in engaging people when necessary. She just wouldn't back off if she felt called to stay connected. Yesterday I found myself in some situations where my default response would have been to back away. But somehow her example was used to keep me moving forward.

Don't get me wrong, I am not going to try to get Christian bookstores to replace all the WWJD bracelets with items bearing WWND. Nor do I even plan to ask KJ to design these for our family. At the same time I have found myself drawing on the lessons of my mentor Jack for years, so it is probably quite appropriate to reflect on the way Nancy walked through life as I continue the journey with her in Glory.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Pamet River-Late Tide

Did you know heaven could come in on the tide?
Victorious
Dancing over rock and shell
Champagne waves
Erasing every trace of mud
And odor of death
The flats sparkling and saltwashed
Under the sky's blue shield

Did you know heaven could come in on the tide?
Joyous
Kissing cool the white hot sand
And flooding into pools
Transforming mothers and daughters
Into sisters
And couples into lovers
As they float in on the
Eternal cleansing of the sea

Did you know heaven could come in on the tide?Glorious
Dazzling phosphrescence
Welling from depths
An evensong between silvered rocks
As the hills embrace
The river's fullness
Flood tide on a full-moon night
The duet
Before a silver Amen

Did you know heaven
Could come in on the tide?
NanPowlison'94

Much love to you Dan, Josh, Leah, and KJ.

We did get to the funeral, but we were sorry we couldn't come to anything else. I thought the service was beautifully done. It is always a taste of heaven to see so many old friends together.
Glad to hear work is going well as you start up again.
Nan and David P.

Anonymous said...

still tracking with you, brother. I'm glad you're still writing.
prayed for you just now.
Marc

Rebecca said...

I'm so glad you're writing, Dan! Thank you for pointing us to Jesus, and for allowing us in to this part of your heart. Love you.