Friday, October 3, 2008

Celebrating a day of broken dreams and arms

Like a lot of young boys, I dreamed of being a football hero. Why not? I had watched my brothers enjoy moments of gridiron glory. I was certain I would follow in their footsteps. But 41 years ago today, an awkward stumble in a scrimmage left me writing in agony with a compound fracture of my right arm. Though I kept at baseball, basketball and track after that, I never again hopefully dreamed of finding notoriety through sports. Instead, my passions were increasingly centered around writing, speaking and drama. So, that moment of brokenness redirected my life.

I am comforted by that thought today. Losing Nancy has left me feeling broken. It seems that more than my right arm is in a cast. But, over the years, I have come to see how often brokenness has preceded blessing. Emotional, spiritual, relational weakness often leads us toward new vision and healing. I don't like the way this feels. But ,on an anniversary of broken childhood dreams, I look to HIM to mend my fractured spirit and to take me to a place of reborn dreams.

1 comment:

DrsMyhre said...

Dan this was a great image for me today. Especially since I have two boys with injuries keeping them from playing the sport they love, and because I see so much brokeness. Praying for redirection.
Jennifer and Scott