Saturday, October 4, 2008

Apple Pie and a Jack-O-Lantern to Go

You know up on the farm we worked hard and I wasn't every very good at farm work. But to my shame, I thought city folk were much smarter than we were. I was wrong. City people will go to the country and pay for the chance to undertake agricultural labor. They call this visiting a "pick your own" orchard. Today, I visited one with the kids and grand kids. We paid to pick apples today----and it was worth it.



Seriously, it was great to be with all five grand kids, Anne, Chris and Leah and other family and friends today. We enjoyed a beautiful fall morning under clear skies, and came away with apples to eat and a pumpkin to carve. This weekend we are gathering to celebrate my 55th birthday. I can't tell you how much it means to mark this bittersweet time with folks I love. Leah is every bit as much a verbal processor as I am and it is good to be able to grieve aloud with her even as we make new memories.

This weekend reminds me that we journey on as a family. My trip to the orchard suggested He has more fruit for me to pick along the way Home.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dan, So thankful to hear of the good times had by all, your chance to grieve with your child, and to find out that you will be celebrating another year. May God richly bless you and keep you, may His face shine upon you and give you peace--both now and for ever more!