Monday, October 6, 2008

She said YES!

As the first weekend of October 1974 began, I was considering a hard decision. Perhaps it was time to break up with Nancy. Graduation was only months away. Were we headed in the same direction? Were we compatible? These thoughts were buzzing around in my head on Friday.

But then came Sunday, October 6. After we returned from church, she gave me my birthday presents. They were cool. The "Four Translation Parallel Edition" Bible bore her inscription of 1 Corinthians 13 (The Love Chapter) inside the front cover. Then I opened up this bottle upon which she had laminated mementos of our early dates. Very thoughtful stuff.

Suddenly, I found myself saying, "Do you want to think about getting married?"

"Yes," came the answer. Quickly. Followed by a kiss.

"Are you sure?" I asked.

The second "Yes!" was followed by another kiss.

So, there we were. Engaged. Before I knew it. No surprise proposal. No getting down on bended knee. I was spontaneous. She was certain. And if you have ever visited this blog before, you know we journeyed in the same direction with a surprising level of harmony.

So, today, as I mark my 55th birthday, I am sad we are not celebrating together. But I am far more glad that she said, "yes!"

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've been thinking, Dan, that this would make a great "Amma Story". You have a lifetime of stories to tell about your best friend and maybe the format should be a book of Amma Stories for your grandchildren. They could get to know her through your memories, and each insight would not only let them know what she was like as a person, but who her Lord was like, and how He met her in her various seasons of life. Josh's stories at the memorial service would be good to include, too. Applesauce and eyedroppers will forever have new meaning to me because of what he shared.

Anonymous said...

Oops--I forgot to say, 'HAPPY BIRTHDAY!' :-)

Unknown said...

happy birthday!
and i think becky's idea is a super one!!!

your engagement story is really sweet, i'm glad she said yes too!

Rob and Mary said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY Dan.
Mary and Rob