Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Reflections from Foggy Bottom

On a foggy night, the low lying areas are the most deeply affected. As I continue my walk in the valley, I feel like I am surrounded by clouds just now. The mist is pretty thick.

My zeal to look ahead is waning, I don' t have my usual interest in peering into the future. Planning beyond today seems pointless, especially as I face the possibility of illness and treatment. This is problematic when my work at WHM involves envisioning people for future ministry.

While eternity is closer with Nancy's departure, heaven still seems beyond my understanding, hidden in the midst. I can't see it's shape or colors; I can only hope that the clouds will be rolled back before I have to travel to that Land myself.

For now, we see in a mirror dimly, but then we will see facee to face.
Now I know only in part; then I will know fully, even as I am fully known.
1 Corinthians 13:12

2 comments:

Cindy Nore said...

Hi Dan - still reading, still praying. I know that when getting through one day takes all the strength you have, planning for the future seems futile and wearisome. I can't imagine having a job that involves cheering others on as they look ahead when you are unable to do so yourself. Praying for an extra portion of God's daily mercies. With love, Cindy

Anonymous said...

Dan,

I'm walking beside a dear friend who recently lost her father and is in the initial stages of grieving. She shared tonight over email that what brings her the most comfort is encouragement from those who've been down this road.

As you feel up for it -- continue seeking out the folks who've been where you are now. Though everyone's experience is a bit different, there are common truths about grief and loss that need reinforcing.

Keep writing. We'll keep praying.

Blessings,

Kimberly Smith