Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Shelter from the Storm

Last week I experienced a violent storm in my soul. My heart was gripped by the turbulence of desperation. I had been trying to manage life, gain control. Suddenly, I felt out of control.

By the weekend, sanity was returning. Sunday I found myself with a friend, sharing some of the fruit of that struggle. In other words, I was repenting. A wonderful calm filled the time. Imagine my surprise when I later learned that, at the very time of that peaceful discussion, we were surrounded by storms. Three tornadoes had touched down close by us that afternoon. All I recall is an incredible calmness as spiritual sanity returned.

Years ago, Nancy executed a water color of Jesus walking on the water. She chose to show the area around him as totally calm. It captured something she had come to know: when we are in the presence of Jesus we find rest for our souls. Sunday afternoon I lived that truth once more: divine dependence brings us to a place of peace. HE alone gives us shelter from the storm.

No comments: