Saturday, April 4, 2009

Deuteronomy Delivers Depth

Reading all the way through The Book in a year presents some challenges. Like getting through the less exciting parts. But it's all part of The Statement He made to show us the Way. So, if you're going through the whole Story you slog through some pretty challenging stuff. Like Deuteronomy. That's part of the Tale you wade through to get to Joshua or something.

Imagine my surprise when I began to sense God correcting me as I plowed into Deuteronomy 1 and found HIM speaking to me about the how to climb out of the valley. We learn that Israel lost their way as they continued their journey. Moses tells them, "You grumbled in your tents, and said, 'The Lord hates us, so he brought out of Egypt to deliver us into the hands of the Ammorites to destroy us'..Then I said to you, 'Do not be terrified; do not be afraid of them. The Lord your God who is going before you will fight for you." Israel had come to believe some lies about HIM. They saw as hateful, not willing to take care of his kids. So, they gave into fear and stopped trying to walk forward.

Finding my way out of the valley requires me to see God as loving. Finding my way out of the requires me to forsake fear. Finding my way out of the requires me to see that He is going to stay beside me. Finding my way out of the valley requires me to believe He still has good things in store for me. The uphill climb is an exercise in faith, not a test of will power. Fortunately, He is faithful and wise in supplying me with faithful guides. Nobody makes it out of the valley alone.

PS--I do skim some of the genealogies and stuff. I wonder what else I am missing.

1 comment:

domandkat said...

I'm with you on that one...but for me it's 1&2 Chronicles. I think those two are good things to read in the middle of the night when you can't get to sleep - but I've never tried it because they are so hard to slog through that I don't ever own up to being that desperate to sleep that I'm willing to go that far!

I personally have been having a difficult time working my way through Jeremiah. I used to like that one, but it's been rather depressing this time through...