Thursday, April 16, 2009

Trusting the Author of Spring

I haven't trusted this April weather. It has often felt dark and gloomy. Several times, I have wanted to be back in Dublin as I looked out my office window, longing to experience her melancholy beauty on a "soft day." Then, this morning I (again) awoke to frost on the car windshield. This weekend, though, should be "put the top down on the Miata and cruise weather." What's up with that?

I have not trusted this spring for other reasons. Last year at this time Nancy had just finished her chemo and we looked forward to a summer of returning strength. Her subsequent decline seemed to mock the fresh breezes we felt last spring.

Now I find myself near a season of spring storms for some dear friends of mine, trying to remain calm, trying to remember that God is good. C. S. Lewis suggested that you should go to the highest hill and lean into the breeze on a really windy day. Good advice. I don't plan to walk away from the storms others are facing. I won't try to be safe...as if playing it safe was ever an option for those who follow the Lion. I will choose to believe that the One who rides on chariots of fire also masters the storms, and I will choose to keep "singing in the rain."

I will also remember:
The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases
His mercies never come to an end
They are new every morning
Great is thy faithfulness

No comments: