Wednesday, April 29, 2009

A Friend Crosses the Finish Line

I will never forget yesterday. After a long rewarding weekend in Ohio, I headed into the office . Shortly after I got there, my friend Marc called to let me know that Roger was headed home. After checking with my boss, I jumped on the train downtown to be with him at the UPenn Hospice on Lombard Street. For the next 10 hours I hung out in his room as we walked my dear brother Roger most of the last mile in his six year fight with the Unwanted Visitor that ended Nancy's life last year.

It was agonizing. Once more I heard the labored, crackling noises that a person utters in their last hours of breathing. I remembered our nine month battle with cancer. I remembered the many miles we have walked with Roger and Karen since they welcomed us home from Ireland in 1992. I ached for the hours of grieving Karen was to face. And once more my soul raged against the insult of death.

It was glorious. I saw the fruit of this humble, loving man as friends, relatives and even a former student from Africa came to say farewell. The day was thus filled with stories, songs, scriptures and sobs. Roger was dying surrounded by those he had loved and served.

Once more I was able to use my loud voice for HIM, HE kept it steady so I could fill that room with His Promises from time to time. God led me to share many scriptures during that watch, including passages from Psalm 48 and 142 that had been impressed upon me during the passing of others whom I deeply loved.

Such a departure affirms the truth of the gospel. It also contrasted vividly with the other death occurring on the ward yesterday. We were walking Roger toward the Light, the other family was shrouded in dark gloom.

I had hoped to be with my brother when he left this earth. But it was not The Plan. Instead, I left the hospice at 9:30. Karen wanted quiet time with her best friend by then. That was only fitting. So, I left her there with Roger and three of the kids. Yet, I am thankful that he let me help Roger take the final steps. You see, when Jesus came for Roger just a couple of hours later, a friend and I were praying for the race to end. Again, that was fitting, we can walk one another to the Door, but in the end HE opens it for the fortunate one who is taken Home.

Well done, good and faithful servant. You ran a good race. As KJ said, "he is with my mommy." --and many others who loved him. Most importantly Roger sees the face of the One who loved him best of all. Roger, thanks for helping blaze the trail for us to follow in His good time.

2 comments:

Jenny said...

Dan,

As I have been praying for the Clark's, I remember you in prayer as well, knowing that this suffering is all so familiar to you and walks with you each day. I know though that the Lord and His mighty right hand walk with you too.
I heard the talk you gave at New Life on the 19th. Thank you again for using the journey that you have been on to serve others. I am sure there is a component of healing your own heart in the midst of that, but it will bring hope to those who hear it.

I have written down a Dan Macha quote from that talk that I will keep close. It is what you have learned from this journey: "That God weaves our worst fears together with our deepest dreams that we might experience His greatest love".

This is so true, so hard to face, and do encouraging all at the same time.

Blessings Dan,
Jenny DeVos

domandkat said...

So Nancy got to return the favor and welcome Roger home this time around...

Cool!