Thursday, April 9, 2009

He Chose Me

As a church kid, it's pretty hard to pinpoint the exact moment I started following Jesus for real. But I do remember one special night in particular. Maundy Thursday 1974. A communion service.

The pastor was reciting Scripture as he handed out the elements. Suddenly, one of Jesus's statement rang out, "Don't think you chose me, for I chose you to go and bear fruit." And it came together: I had been trying to figure out what I would choose to do with my life, when HIS words flipped it all around. It wasn't about what I wanted for myself, but what HE wanted for HIS glory. After that, I never really looked back. I followed the path HE laid out.

Tonight, I helped our pastors and elders distribute the elements to the flock at New Life. There were moments of great joy and deep sorrow as I recalled some of the rich and rocky stretches of the road. But there are no regrets for listening to HIS voice that night. None.

And there was a great sense of anticipation. As I said yesterday, I like to believe that there are a few innings left to play. Innings of HIS choosing.

Oh, I forgot something. There was a beautiful co-ed sitting next to me when HE spoke. We were on the same team for quite a few innings until "her number was retired" last August. She is in now in The Hall of Fame.

No comments: