Sunday, April 5, 2009

Tasting a Slice of Joy

I have to confess the last few years have left me distrusting joy, often enduring rather than exalting. I keep waiting for the bottom to fall out again. I can catch myself hunkering down in an emotional bunker Sure, there is no perfect joy this side of heaven. But you will never climb out of the valley if you're just waiting for the roof to cave in.

There are great slices of joy to be savored as we walk this road. Take yesterday: I enjoyed finding a long missing sock (hey that's a big deal in the land of laundry), staring at a Van Gogh painting for several minutes, a windblown walk near the river, a wonderful meal with friends and a delicious slice of apple pie. Each of these simple pleasures reminds me that I will find many "appetizers of joy" to embrace as I continue to climb.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

i just love it when socks appear out of no where!

may you have a blessed Easter...

Becky Wilson said...

My brother Tim and his family have a journal of things they are thankful for. They began it a year or two ago, just to cultivate a sense of gratitude for the "little" things. As a result,they now mention their daily versions of "slices of apple pie". It is a joy to hear. Tessa might be glad for breakfast. Toby might be glad he got to spend time with his friend, or Timmy that he played a game of Wii with his dad. Tina will mention her awareness that God is good all the time, while Tim might comment on a conversation he had the day before. Taking time to savor the "holy now" is a skill worth developing. Thanks for mentioning your own slices of joy, and - by example - encouraging us to name our own.