Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Intersecting Anniversaries

Anniversaries intersect often as you make this journey.

  1. Earlier this week we remembered the sudden departure of Jessica a vibrate young WHM missionary who lost her life in a car accident while attending pre-field training in Colorado.
  2. Two years ago tomorrow my friend and fellow elder Al went home after battling cancer.
  3. A year ago tomorrow Nancy began chemo in the futile attempt to keep that Unwelcome Visitor at bay.

Remembering these dear ones stirs memories of loss and sadness, but also the strong and strange bonds forged by suffering.

  1. Jess's mom Cindy remains one of my primary encouragers as I travel this path. Her comments and emails are drenched with compassionate understanding.
  2. Al's daughter Becky has worked with me at WHM throughout Nancy's sharp descent and homegoing. She is someone who gets it; she totally understands what the journey is like. And she has remained a good buddy who frequently shares laughter, memories, shuffleboard, prayer and tears.

I hate the losses the three of us have borne, I rage against the pain we share, I long for the final victory over death itself.

And I rejoice in our companionship in sorrow and hope, knowing that the pain of this week will soon be erased by the Day of HIS Return!

2 comments:

Mrs. Lorraine Smith said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mrs. Lorraine Smith said...

thanks, Dan.