Thursday, February 12, 2009

Can I Rest Along the Way?

As I go through yet another uncertain stretch in this journey, I am drawn again to struggle with my longing for clear definition. My Father has granted me few instances of clear sailing the last few years. He continues to say, "Walk with me. I know the way forward. You just lean back and let me drive." Trying to apply that lesson lead me to ponder this quote from "The Finishers Project." Continue to pray that I get the "all clear" on cancer this month. But join me in resting in HIS care as we continue the ride, and help me remember:

"Most of us tend to be time-oriented and linear in our thinking. We easily see things laid out on a timetable, moving from left to right. The left end is where we are currently and the right is where we want to be...our goal...the target. We also like to see the line as free from obstacles as possible. A clean, straight line means we will have an easier, faster time getting to our desired goal. Bumps, curves and barriers along the line are things to be removed and avoided in order to hit the target. The most important part is the goal at the end. This is what we desire and anything getting in the way is not desirable. This is common sense and easy to understand. We all accept it. We all endorse it. It's the way we were taught to look at our future and achieve our goals. There is another way. It tends to see the journey as just as important as the end. What might be seen as obstacles can be seen as benefits. They are actually helping to fulfill the goal, but because we are focused on our particular target, we do not see the connection between overcoming the obstacle and the goal it is trying to achieve. Sometimes we refer to this perspective as a "kingdom perspective." It is seeing God's goals for what he wants us to "be", not what we want to "do." God is always about the journey. Yes, the journey is going somewhere, but the getting there is what he uses..."

No comments: