Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Should I Fight or Should I Wait? YES!!

2008 was a year of painful waiting. I was so moved by all the waiting surrounding Nancy's illness and death that my September 12 posting was a poetic attempt to process that part of the journey. Even as I tried to return to work and normal life, I was waiting for the first holdidays without Nancy and for the calendar to turn over to a new year.

I am determined that 2009 will end some of the waiting. I particularly want to reverse the habit of lingering, nervously waiting for things to play out. I just can't sit around the house listlessly waiting for time to pass.

So, that is why the announcement of a new year felt like a call to battle for me. After all, my son Josh often reminds folks that "the kingdom of heaven has been forcefully advancing and forceful men lay hold of it" (Luke 11:12b) It will take some force to move back into the flow, make hard decisions and to forge new partnerships and patterns of living.

But then a dear friend wisely reminded me the battle of 2009 will include some waiting, the kind of waiting described in Psalm 27:14 where His Word encourages us to "wait for the Lord; be strong and take heart, and wait for the Lord." So, this battle to write a new chapter can only be fought with his strength and courage, according to his time table.

Isn't this always a tension in the life of HIS followers? We are engaged in cosmic battle according to Ephesians 6. But we wait on the Lord to renew our strength according to Isaiah 40. Only His Spirit can help us balance that as we follow HIM. So, ask HIM to make me both a strong warrior and a patient waiter as I move through this year.

2 comments:

domandkat said...

Probably a strong waiter and a patient warrior. Yes, I think we are all in our own ways continually learning to do both...which seems to leave us mystified most of the time!

Tom Taylor said...

Brother Dan,
May Jesus continue to strengthen your heart as you daily trust in Him. May His mighty wing continue to protect you.