Saturday, January 17, 2009

Listening to the Living

I most often experience the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living through people. Just this past week:
  • I listened to Leah describe her chance encounter with the Norte Dame basketball team in a hotel elevator and I enjoyed the passion she carries through life.
  • I watched KJ sing "Happy Birthday" to a child in Elcy's Cafe and I smiled at how great she is with kids.
  • I watched a documentary on racial injustice and wept with pride over the work Josh is doing in North Philadelphia.
  • I talked to a couple preparing to serve as missionaries and felt their joy that a childhood dream is about to be fulfilled.
  • I shared a burger with an old friend who reminded me how much God loves to create and I gave thanks for years of his loyal concern.
  • I sat speechless (how rare is that?) in the face of a new friend's candor and vulnerability remembering that trust is one of the greatest gifts we can offer one another.
  • I talked strategy with a number of WHM colleagues and renewed my desire to pursue the Grand Cause with these folks for as long as I have strength.

The goodness of the Lord was given to me through the thoughts, words and laughter of those being made new in HIM. My life so often overflows with this bounty because HE stands outside the tomb, and shouts "come out." And lots of newly risen friends answer back, "Here I come."

1 comment:

Ron Lusk said...

And, rising from the tomb, the Spirit enters them, and they stand on their feet, an exceedingly great army.