Monday, January 12, 2009

Grace to Resume the Journey

I have been on Sabbatical as an elder since March. That hiatus intensified as Nancy's summer journey intensified. I even stepped back from my favorite duty which is helping serve communion. I felt I needed to receive the elements, not help distribute them.

But today, when my friend Marc called the elders forward for his first communion as an ordained pastor, I just had to come up. After all, we had walked some important steps together, and I didn't want to miss being at his side. But there was more. I was ready to "tell the church" that the sorrow is beginning to fade. I want to become more than a gloomy shadow.

There were some dicey moments. I thought about the eternal issues in the work of Christ. I thought of how Nancy's casket had rested only a few feet away from where I sat after distributing the elements I remembered the day a couple of years ago when I served communion with Al on my left, and Roger on my right, and heard the words, "remission of sins" with new force. Both Al and Roger were suffering from cancer by then. And a few months later Al experienced the ultimate remission when Jesus took him home. It was all I could do to hold back the tears.

Roger still continues his earthly journey. Last night was rough for him, so Marc and I brought communion to Roger and Karen's house this afternoon. As I shared how Marc's sermon had reminded me that it takes a certain desperation to come to Christ I was moved to thank God for the gentle ways that He had driven each of us to Jesus. Roger and Karen completely understood.

And once more, I reflect on this miracle. This past year's journey has left me seeing the kindness of God when I was confronted with my greatest fears. A year ago, I could not have imagined that I could sit there with my very sick friend, reflecting on my wife's death, and my widowhood and speak of the gentle kindness of God---and mean it. How can this be? Somehow HE gives us grace for the journey.

2 comments:

Rob and Mary said...

He does give grace and kindness for our Journey. That is why I love the passages of the bible that remind us we are never alone. Like the Psalms that tell us He has grabbed a hold of us and holds our hand.

Daisy said...

I know that your serving communion to my parents was very special to them. It answered a prayer that they had to be able to participate in communion the first Sunday that Marc administered it. It touched them deeply, thank you.