Thursday, January 1, 2009

The Dance Goes On!

The Mummers Parade. It's a Philadelphia thing. If you are not from here, if you're not born here, you just don't get it. What's the deal with a bunch of adults donning garish costumes and "strutting" their way around town? Yeah, it's weird, but it does constitute a legitimate way to celebrate the landmark event of a new year. Nevertheless, dancing in public takes a kind of outlandish courage.

Nancy became a legend in World Harvest during our 2006 Greece Conference. After the program each evening we would gather in a recreation spot. The area included a little dance area complete with DJ and pathetic rotating disco ball. The first night I was sitting at a table chewing the fat with some of the other guys. Suddenly this radiant woman appeared before me and demanded, "Come on, let's dance!" My request that she give me a moment to finish my beverage was quickly swept aside as she downed the contents of the glass. Quickly. A second later, we glided out on the dance floor and spent every evening that week cutting up in front of the entire mission.

Everybody enjoyed watching Nancy living it up in Greece, but nobody else could appreciate what unfolded as much as I did. For many years she was unwilling to get on a dance floor. Certain kinds of public attention terrified her. So, we more or less avoided those situations. That week in Greece she was telling "our missionary order" that Christ had transformed her into a carefree girl who was ready to dance with her groom. And her performance gladdened the hearts of all who watched! She was a vision of joy, this middle aged grandma with the flaming red hair and impish grin.

So, how does that freedom and joy play out now that she is celebrating a new year with Jesus?
During those hard days she lingered at Keystone House I drove back and forth listening again and again to the song, "Imagine." The chorus asks:

Surrounded by your glory, what will my heart feel?
Will I dance for you, Jesus? Or in awe of you be still?
Will I stand in your presence, or to my knees will I fall?
Will I sing “Hallelujah!”? Will I be able to speak at all?
I can only imagine.
I can only imagine.
Those words sustained me as I assured myself that she "would have the answers real soon." She does, but if she had a choice, I think she choose to dance with her Bridegroom.
Rock on, Lady! I will dance here for now.

4 comments:

Cindy Nore said...

Hi Dan - just a quick note to say I am praying for you and your family; hoping that while 2009 brings many tough memories of events that dealt some hard blows, it will also bring comfort and peace as you continue to honor Nancy by adjusting to life with her in Heaven. God bless - Cindy Nore

domandkat said...

Dan,

I so wish I'd gotten to know Nancy here on earth. The vision I have in my head from your description brings a broad smile to my face...so I'll just have to wait 'til Jesus has me move into His mansion to get to know her.

Happy New Year, my friend...

Ger said...

Dan,As I read your words. It reminds me Of Paul Griffen When He came back From Israel and said that He could dance with out any inhibition. I Praise God that Nancy was Freed by a different Spirit. Her story Rocks.
Ger.

Monica said...

Hi Dan, Tears and a smile came over me as remembered that week in Greece. It was wonderful. I remember dancing with Nancy every night that week. The memories are still so vivid in my mind. I miss her.