Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Another Day at the Office

One of the more humbling and awesome things about working for an international Christian ministry is that I get paid to pray during my work week. Each day we have designated prayer time to intercede on behalf of our missionaries and friends around the world. Then, once or twice a year, we close operations down and invest a whole day of staff time in worship, prayer and sharing. Yesterday was one of those days. Don't misunderstand. It's not 8 straight hours of spontaneous spiritual ecstasy. It takes a fair amount of planning to lay out a schedule, and gather requests from around the world. Sometimes we probably just talk when we should pray. By about 2.30, I found myself getting drowsy.

But there are glimpses of the Father's Heart and Mind that make the day sing. Times when you find yourself weeping for a co-worker halfway around the world. Times when the requests about fundraising goals and office software issues provide a platform for crying out for the Kingdom to come. And for a few brief moments you remember that prayer is not just part of the work, it is the work. And I hear myself wondering, "They actually pay me to do this stuff?"

No comments: