Saturday, January 10, 2009

The End of the Beginning

As the World War II battle for North Africa drew to an end, Winston Churchill announced, "This is not the end. It is not even the beginning of the end, but it is perhaps the end of the beginning." He was right. There were still years of fighting yet to be done. Many terrible battles were later fought in Italy, France and Germany, but at least the Nazis were on the run.

That describes the place I find myself on this valley road. I am nowhere near the end of this trek, but I can perhaps see the intense early mourning is subsiding. There is one indicator that this might be so: I find myself thinking more about the present task at hand, and future possibilities, and less about past sorrows.

This new openness that there might be something to come...even this side of glory might just mean "The End of the Beginning."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

awesome dan. this is encouraging to hear...not that the struggle isn't in its own way too but thankful that you are seeing new light ahead as well.

with love,

matt irvine