Sunday, May 3, 2009

Taking the Heat for Partners

Last night a friend and I watched the movie "Fireproof". The film centered around a Fire Captain's journey to faith in Christ and reconciliation with his estranged wife. Unfolding that story took us through a couple of rescue scenes. Along the way, I was captured by the line, "Never leave your partner in a burning building."

This week I actually went into "burning rooms" to be with good partners. Both experiences were worth it. They brought opportunities to "bear one another's burdens and thus fulfill the law of Christ." Both were paybacks for the way these folks had loved me while I was deep in the valley.

Yeah, we risk, and we run to our friends in need because that's what partners do. And we come out unscathed because HE has delivered us from the flames. Risk? Not Hardly. Blessing? You bet.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Not long ago I was talking with a friend about the story in Daniel 3 concerning Shadrach, Meshach and Abed-nego in the furnace of blazing fire. I reminded my friend that in the furnace there were four people seen. So too when we are in our firey furnace that same extra person, Jesus, is with us. We are never alone. How comforting that we can experience Jesus' Hands and Feet through our community of believers in our firey places. Thank you Dan for standing with so many in spite of your own grief.
Karen Schoch