Wednesday, May 20, 2009

It's about HIS Fame

This morning a young woman within the WHM family is facing a procedure after the premature end of her pregnancy. The fact that she was not carrying a viable baby makes the outcome no less painful, no less stark, no less outrageous.

As we were praying for Katie this morning, I was suddenly struck with how timid most of my prayers seem. I pray for health and comfort and happiness for our family around the world. All that is good stuff. After all, we have a loving Heavenly Father who delights to hand out good gifts to his kids. So, I should ask away. Still, there is a deeper level of asking, a richer vein of ore to be mined. I found myself asking HIM to bring glory to Himself through our family, that we would make Him famous in sickness or in health, in happiness or in sorrow, in success or in failure.

You would think that I would just naturally go there in my petitions for myself and others. After 35 years of walking behind HIM. After the adventures of the last 18 months. As a friend and I try to climb out of the valley only to find ourselves covered in spider webs with no quick end in sight. You would think I would just surrender my agenda and run to HIM for marching orders. But that is just not the default setting of this selfish heart.

Still, the Spirit gently prompts me to "recalculate." And I remember to join Paul in praying that HE be exalted in my body whether by life or death. And I leave it to HIM to determine the highway of exaltation that I am to drive.

No comments: