Saturday, November 29, 2008

A Fulton Thanksgiving

It was good to come to Fulton. The long drive on Thursday morning gave me time and space to weep, to pray, to give thanks. Jonah found a spot on my lap shortly after I got there. That felt good. Chris's family welcomed me to their dinner table. The fire was warm, the food good.


We have also done some early Christmas shopping and talked about what Christmas Day can look like this year. Leah and I have also had some special time together to grieve. We process things in much the same way so, this was also good stuff.It all felt so different. Far removed from last year's "Fried Turkey Thanksgiving." And that felt safe.

This morning I awoke thanking him that every Thanksgiving from 1974 through 2007 included Nancy. This one did, too; she just ate at a different table. Still, I missed her at mine.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The picture of Jonah on your lap makes me think of the weaned child that rests on its mother (Ps. 131). It's a picture of nearness and trust, of comfort and confidence, of rest and hope. God offers His lap to His children, as amazing a thought as that is. And it's there that we get the hope and strength to keep on "doing the next thing", as Andree Seu wrote once. God gives us these sweet pictures in everyday terms drawn from daily life so that we can remember right in the midst of our pain that He is there, and His ears are always open to our cries.