Friday, September 12, 2008

What am I wating for?

This morning as I sat in our rental property awaiting a water company guy, I started thinking how much this activity has defined the past year. Then these words came to me:

Life Interrupted by Waiting/Life Anticipated in Waiting

Waiting for the appointment
Waiting for the biopsy
Waiting for the surgery
Waiting for the surgeon
Waiting for the pathology

Waiting for chemo
Waiting for a vein for chemo
Waiting for the good week between chemo
Waiting for chemo to end

Waiting for her to feel better
Waiting for answers to a sudden pain
Waiting for school to end
Waiting for a miracle

Waiting for strength to return
Waiting for the July 4 parade
Waiting for a slower heartbeat
Waiting for her to sleep
Waiting for another miracle?

Waiting for the ambulance to hospice
Waiting for her birthday
Waiting for Micah
Waiting for her to meet Micah
Waiting for her to meet Jesus

Waiting for the relatives
Waiting for the funeral
Waiting for the funeral to end
Waiting for peaceful silence
Waiting for the silence to end
Waiting for grieving
Waiting for grieving to end

Waiting for all things to be made new
Waiting for our reunion
Waiting for HIS return

Waiting now for Promised things
Waiting now for Better things
Waiting now for Eternal things
Waiting now for waiting to end

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

We join you and others we love in aching, "waiting for waiting to end." How well that sums up so much of our longing.

Yet, when the waiting is over----what a day of rejoicing THAT will be!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Like Christmas morning, when we can't wait to unveil for the ones we love the ONE PRESENT we've been getting ready for them for months, the gift we know will knock their socks off and blow their hair back as they rip off the paper and FINALLY get to have what we've bought them as their very own.

Eye has not seen nor ear heard what God has prepared for them who love Him. My mind reels with the possibilities. When the waiting ends---it will be Glory.

And meanwhile, we wait *together* for the waiting to end.

Cindy Nore said...

Dan, I wait with you and loved these words you wrote:

Waiting for all things to be made new
Waiting for our reunion
Waiting for HIS return

Waiting now for Promised things
Waiting now for Better things
Waiting now for Eternal things
Waiting now for waiting to end

While I love my precious son and husband, and I know that God must have more Kingdom work for me to do, I am with you often in "waiting now for waiting to end." Since Jess went to Heaven, I find myself thinking and reading so much about that blissful place that at times I find it very hard to wait until I am there myself. And lately, I feel God telling me to "wait for the LORD; be strong and take heart and wait for the LORD." Ps 27:14. Sometimes I find that waiting - for God to give strength, or reveal His purpose or plan, is more "work" than anything I have ever done that required "doing."

Praying that this waiting time will be full of peace and comfort and assurance of an eternity with Nancy in a place where we will never wait again - God bless, Cindy

freeseth said...

Dan,
Regarding this post on waiting, It brings to mind the song Jesus, I my cross have taken. And more specifically, verse 6.

"Haste thee on from grace to glory,
Armed by faith, and winged by prayer.
Heaven’s eternal days before thee,
God’s own hand shall guide us there.
Soon shall close thy earthly mission,
Soon shall pass thy pilgrim days,
Hope shall change to glad fruition,
Faith to sight, and prayer to praise."

I long for that day when hope and faith become sight. And our connection with God in this world is changed from prayer to endless song and joy.

until then, we wait with you.

domandkat said...

WOW...

...and so often I just feel like the word WAIT is one of those 4 letter words...

BUT that is the most amazing poem I've read in ages! And it was worth the wait!

Anonymous said...

Dan,
Thanks for your beautiful poem. It stirs my heart with both grief and hope. Your decision to take it all to the Lord encourages me to do the same. We're praying that the Lord continues to give you grace to deal with this difficult time in your life.
Warmly, Wendy Gray

CS said...

Nothing to say really, just that we're still reading, we still care, we still pray.

Anonymous said...

I was thinking about earthly blessings, and spiritual blessings. If our life consists in what we have we lose everything at death. If our life consists in Who we have, then death is the time to inherit all the riches reserved in heaven for us.
Nancy was rich toward God.
She waslaying up treasure in heaven for a long time. And she is a rich woman today!
Dan, thanks for letting us hear your processing...we love you all.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing. We love you brother.

lukedavid said...

still caring and praying too.

Daisy said...

That was beautiful