Saturday, September 27, 2008

Grandparenting Alone


The picture of Jonah on Hat Day at Playschool got me thinking.
Nancy was a great "Amma." She spent countless hours on the floor with her grand kids. Even after she got really sick, she would light up at the mention of "Lu-Lu" or Micah's impending arrival. Near the end, she grieved her inability to do things with the kids anymore.

Now, it would seem, I have to "pick up the grand parenting" thing for my departed buddy. As my friend Marc reminded me, it's important for me to get all the birthdays onto the calendar, handle the shopping, and keep in touch.

Years, ago I embraced the calling to pass the baton to a new generation. Being "Ampa" without "Amma" is one of the ways for that calling to unfold.

5 comments:

Laura said...

Still reading. Still praying.
Just wanted you to know.

Laura Morgan

Cindy Nore said...

No great words of wisdom or advice to share; as laura said, just wanted you to know I'm still reading, still praying.

Anonymous said...

Hope you feel our prayers, Dan! Many people, like me, come here to catch a glimpse of ways that we can lift you up. God is certainly glorified by your honesty. I am encouraged and challenged by you and by Nancy's graceful story. What an amazing couple! Praying!!!

Anonymous said...

Dan,

On the lighter side:
My grandmother died when I was 16 and somehow for years to come (and I mean years as my grandfather died when he was 100 and I was 40), he never forgot a birthday of myself or my siblings. Crazier still he never forgot a birthday of his great-grands either.
I don't know how he did it, but if he did it, you can too. If nothing else, you'll amaze them for years to come!!
He's been gone now since 2000, and I will never forget this part of him.
The Lord will make YOUR life special to those around you and make it count with the pain and, through the pain. It must feel like that is not possible sometimes with out Nancy, but he will continue to use you as you wait for the next "marching orders".
I saw KJ at Elcy's on Friday. It was good to see her though we don't know each other well, but just to say hello and that I am thinking of and praying for all of you.
Blessings,
Jenny
Blessings, Jenny DeVos

Alicia said...

This post seems so full of life to me in the midst of grief. It represents love and care instead of "I'm checking out because I feel bad." I am inspired and encouraged. Bless you.

Alicia Havens