Thursday, September 4, 2008

Grieving in Community

Out of town arrivals, service details and finishing a slide show filled the day. Karen Keller hosted a wonderful dinner for our extended family. Then it was off to the funeral home.

Around 9pm the kids and I took one last look at the vessel that had carried Nancy through 55 years on the earth. During the previous two hours we had stood beside Nancy's casket and greeted a steady stream of fellow mourners. The evening brought:

  • JOY as each person brought another memory, reflecting the richness of our life together
  • SORROW because I would never again sit in a room with any of these folks and talk and laugh with Nancy. Death is still an outrage, and I do sense Life Interrupted.
  • PRIDE as I watched the kids greet and engage each person who approached them. I couldn't help think they were reflecting Nancy's capacity to welcome whomever approached her, even when she was sad or suffering
  • ANTICIPATION because in spite of what said earlier, we will party with this group again--soon and very soon. I claim the line from "Jesus is my Morning Sun" which reminds us "Jesus Christ will come again. What a glad reunion then!"

In about 3 hours we head to New Life Church to celebrate Nancy's life and the hope of resurrection and HIS return. It will be a day requiring another special outpouring of grace. But HE is near the broken hearted....so I count on Him to be very close at hand.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Dan & Family,

What a Glad reunion it will be! What a blessing to be sharing that glorious hope together as a community of believers. Know you are in our prayers as you continue to walk through this valley of sorrow & Grief.

Much love to all of you.

Jerry & Kim clement

Ron Lusk said...

We do not usually sing this verse:

And when the strife is fierce, the warfare long,
Steals on the ear the distant triumph song,
And hearts are brave again, and arms are strong.
Alleluia! Alleluia!


We all--but you especially--hear one more voice, distant and clear, singing the triumph song. And Lo! there breaks, a yet more glorious day...

Cindy Nore said...

Dear Dan and family- while I can't be at Nancy's service physically, I will be rejoicing with you for her life well lived and mourning with you in your sadness. I loved the reference above to one of the verses from "For All the Saints." When I first heard that Nancy had gone Home at last, I also thought of this verse from that song:
"The golden evening brightens in the west; Soon, soon to faithful warriors comes their rest; Sweet is the calm of paradise the blessed, Alleluia, Allelu.." I thought of Nancy resting in Paradise after a life of being a faithful warrior, and I thought of this verse: "Blessed are the dead who die in the Lord from now on. "Yes," says the Spirit, "they will rest from their labor; for their deeds will follow them." Revelations 14:13. Nancy's deeds are surely following her in the example she was to us all in her faith, and your children are living testimonies to Nancy's deeds as well. Praying for strength and comfort - Cindy Nore

CS said...

We shed real tears with you today.
Love and prayers.

Anonymous said...

Remembering the community there with fondness knowing there will be many tears mingled with hope on this day. Nancy worships with the angels as we worship with His Spirit bearing us up.

Mary Ann Carter

HappyAndersons said...

You do have great kids and a great family. I'm still praying for you all as you continue to process and move forward.

Many hugs and tears,
Andrea

Unknown said...

Thank you for blessing us with Nancy's and your life through these months on this journey. We do not know you well Dan and I have not met Nancy but these journals of this journey and your faith and walk have been a beacon of light and given us courage and endurance to run the race and give glory to Christ who brings his peace and everlasting life! Thank you Jesus for these dear ones and bring them rest and comfort these days..much love
Laura and Jim Pettit

Anonymous said...

Dear Dan and family,

I've thought about you throughout the day, knowing it would be a difficult one, and yet, knowing also that this community of faith has each of you wrapped in its arms and bathed in prayer.

I wanted to mention to you: Josh, Leah, and KJ, that I too lost a parent in my tender twenties. And I can attest first-hand to the incredible void that it leaves. As I've watched this story unfold in these last couple weeks, I've truly been impressed with the way you've faced a very difficult, painful experience head-on. THIS is an awesome testimony of your faith and your wonderful upbringing.

Most sincerely,

Kimberly Smith