Sunday, August 31, 2008

Funeral Notice, Further Thanksgiving

My first day without the gal I sometimes addressed as my "bestest friend. " This day was filled with worship, joy, relief, sorrow and emptiness. It was good to worship at New Life, to feed on the the truth, to be hugged and prayed for by dear friends in the faith. It was also necessary to plug ahead with planning the details of Nancy's farewell celebration and internment. Here are what the Irish used to call the "particulars" of the public events:

Public Viewing beginning 7pm Wednesday September 3 at John Freed Funeral Home on Easton Road in Glenside, PA.

Funeral Service at New Life Church beginning 10am Thursday September 4 at New Life Church, Easton Road in Glenside, PA. Burial to follow immediately.

Yesterday morning, I woke up in the room with Nancy and had several hours alone with her. We read through the last 13 chapters of the gospel of Luke, because I was determined she hear the resurrection story one more time.

We also read Spurgeon's comment on "wait on the Lord" (Psalm 27:14:)

"Wait in quiet patience, not rebelling because you are under affliction,
but blessing your God for it."

By grace that morning I blessed God for our journey. HE had met, and shaped and carried us through very rugged stretches. Nancy's prayer to bring glory to GOD through her suffering was and will be answered. We expect that the events of the next week will further confirm that.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

The Lord has given you a lot of courage Dan. Once again I am learning from you much about love... and following our Lord in good times and hard times.
His peace be with you and the kids. Nancy and you all hold a dear place in our life and heart.
Drew, Ann, Luke and Caleb

Anonymous said...

Thank you Dan, for the wonderful example of truely living for Christ, in spite of such suffering. Nancy and you are an inspiration and model for many to follow. We love you, and peace to you and your family.

Bethany said...

Dear Dan, words feel imprecise and insufficient in the face of such sadness. I am praying for your family, am thankful for the privilege of Nancy's friendship, and am encouraged by your eyes of faith in the midst of grief. May Jesus walk ever closer to you in the coming hours and days. Love, Bethany

BBCG said...

God, Giver of Life
Lover of our souls, Savior
Open up for us in this hour (but not just for this hour), we pray,
A window on eternity
A glimpse of glory.
Help us to celebrate the moments past
And await in joyful hope
the day of promise,
when there will be no more death,
nor sorrow, nor crying, nor pain,
because the former things are passed away.
Grant us grace, dear Lord, to release into your strong hand this one,
beloved by you and by us,
to be in your care in the promise of life forevermore.
For those who feel most keenly the pain of separation,
we seek the comfort of your Presence,
for in You all live,
and in Your presence every moment partakes of eternity,
and touches every other moment.
In You, as we draw near,
all that we love draws near to us.
Sanctify the memories
and may they sweeten the hearts of those who hold them.
And may every prayer,
even every tear,
be transformed by your miraculous Presence
into a gift of joy,
every memory
a blessing of gratitude.
In Christ, the victor over death, we pray.
Amen.

Joy said...

I have been following this journey since the Mhyre's posted something on their blog a few months ago. Thank you for your "real-time" updates as you and the family have loved and cared for Nancy so well. What a beautiful send-off. What a witness of the hope we have in Christ.

May the peace of the Lord be with you,

Joy Hancock
Charlottesville, VA

Anonymous said...

Dan,
Diane and I wish you the Spirit's touch and His grace during this time. You and Nancy were such a model of love and friendship that often left us envious.
I'm sorry we are unable to attend the services but we know Jesus will be lifted up and we'll join a long list of mourners.
David

Anonymous said...

Dear Dan and Family,
It was with a mixture of sadness and joy that I read that Nancy had gone "Home". Thank you for keeping us updated on your journey in faith and love.
May peace come to your hearts and minds as you celebrate her life. I will keep you all in my prayers and in my heart in the days to come.
I was so privileged to know Nancy in our somewhat carefree youth. I will hold those precious memories close to me for the rest of my days.
Words simply cannot express how I feel at this time. The one thing I can think of, is something that my Mom used to tell us when we would embark on a new journey..."Go with God". I don't know if she ever whispered these words to Nancy,but I know that she told many of my friends this over the years.
Peace be with you and yours,
Lois Lambertus Hicks

Janet Gerhard said...

Dan, Nancy is loved by those who were in her life every day and those of us who brushed up against her from time to time. She of course gave me a copy of her signature book "Prodigal Son", she told me to read it and reminded me that the its a book written for me ABOUT me! I'll never forget our Beer and Bible studies at the Glenside Pub or the way she faithfully ministered to brother Gene. She was loved well by her family and friends and even more beautifully by her Lord. When Linda died, Jim Bergwall said "Jesus wraps grief individually for each of us to open. It's like a present that He hands us to unwrap while sitting in His arms". That picture is beautiful and I trust that you too will unwrap the grief in the tender care of the One who spun the stars into the heavens. Dan, in heaven I hope Nancy is a redhead, she was stunning as a redhead! Blessed be the name of the Lord!