Monday, August 25, 2008

Party Day Report

HE gave us a full day to celebrate with Nancy yesterday. During the morning Nancy and I completed the last reading from Monod in which he prayed, "there is nothing in me capable of surviving for one moment before the brightness of your face and before the light of your holiness. But now it is not I who will be judged, it is Christ in me; and I know, I know that he will enter, and I with him, and that he and I are so fully united that he would never enter and leave me outside." More than anything, I celebrate the anticipation of Jesus walking Nancy into the Father's presence.

Later, we gathered with family and a few elders to celebrate Communion. Ben Lyon's strong voice helped us fill the room with HIS praises and Nancy actually sat up to take the wine. Following this time our family enjoyed Phillie Phanatic Birthday cake together. Meanwhile, both her brother and sister called and I put the phone up to her ears as they sang Nancy Happy Birthday.

At various times, the room filled with laughter and tears as we told stories, looked at photos and celebrated Nancy's sweet and simple faith and love. We all agreed with Allie's recent post, "she always made me feel welcomed and loved."

Some of you know that Nancy suffered some hard things in her life. Some of that suffering was private, and alone. When she faced cancer I was determined that we surround her with love, that she not resist the Unwelcome Visitor alone. Yesterday was a fulfilment of that challenge. She was covered with the love of family, friends, and brothers and sisters as she moved closer to eternity. HE gave us the special privilege of accompanying her one step further on the last birthday she will experience on this earth.

Finally, a nurse told us that the guys in room next door muted the sound on the baseball game during our communion service. They wanted to enjoy our singing. Nancy was still a part of making HIS name famous to those who need the good news even as she fades away. An evangelist to the end. In this and many other ways her prayer to see God glorified in her illness is being answered.

10 comments:

Ron Lusk said...

What beautiful news in your last paragraph. In her dying, she is yet pointing to Christ; as Jesus draws near her, she draws the attention of others...to Him.

ron and judi

Anonymous said...

Earlier this morning as I was washing up breakfast dishes and thinking of Nancy and your family, I asked the Lord how I should pray... what His prayer for her would be today. Then looking out the window I saw the MOST BEAUTIFUL RAINBOW spreading across the whole sky! A BRILLIANTLY PAINTED rainbow...an Irish-kind-of-a-rainbow! I was stunned by its Magnificence.

"Whenever I bring clouds over the earth and the rainbow appears, I will remember my covenant between Me and you...and all living creatues of every kind..."

His sign to us that He is Here, He has not forgotten us, nothing is out of His order, His PROMISES are TRUE and FOREVER...and our only Comfort!

Clinging with you to our Jesus,
Beth

Anonymous said...

We are SO GLAD that your family was able to spend the whole day with Nancy. What a treasure she is to many. Thank you Dan and Nancy, for giving us not just yourselves, but your wonderful children, who reflect you and Jesus. Like,Josh who is such a wonderful young man, and I have told Nancy numerous times that I pray that my sons will emulate his example as a godly man.All our love...

Harpur's said...

Thank you again for revealing your thoughts, emotions, and prayers to all of us. Thank you all for letting me be a part of your family!
I am continually lifting Nancy and all of you up in prayer. I still wish this weren't so but I know that God has something so perfect and so beautiful planned for her. Though we can only imagine now and weep as we will miss her - she will soon be bathed in His radiant Glory! neighbor

Mrs. Lorraine Smith said...

What a blessing to witness Christ's care for Nancy through His Spirit and your love!

CS said...

So glad that you had such a great birthday, Nancy. Thanks, Dan, for taking time out to tell us all about it - we were really eager to know. Hope there were lots of Stuffies there. Love and prayers.

Unknown said...

dan, it was an honor to be there yesterday. it is something that i will never forget.
had no idea about the folks next door, that was cool that they wanted to hear the singing. maybe we should have opened the door and let everyone hear...

your constant love towards your entire family speaks more than words can say.

love
judi

HappyAndersons said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
HappyAndersons said...

My prayers are with you all. How blessed she is to have everyone there praying, singing, and loving on her. I too wish I could be there, but I know my prayers are with you.

Hugs,
Andrea

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing so much. It brings me to tears and to a joyful hope. I believe someone posted recently about your testimony being the real stuff of faith. Jesus is very real to me this morning. The groaning and the hope is real. So we continue to pray. My sister Charity and her husband Stephen just passed through and we prayed together for you often.

Matt & Jenn