Sunday, December 21, 2008

Why Keep Writing?

The one year anniversary posting provided a good place to consider whether to continue this blog. My years in Ireland taught me to answer a question with a question. Thus, to answer the question do I continue blogging, I asked why am I still writing? And I decided:

  1. I write to heal. If I didn't have an outlet my head and heart might explode. This forum allows me to channel some of the thoughts and emotions that surge through me each day.
  2. I write to get you to pray. As Ed said the night of Nancy's viewing: "If you keep writing we'll keep praying." You are praying aren't you?
  3. I write to break the ice. As today's Grief Share devotional said: "People in grief may avoid their friends and even their church to prevent these awkward moments. This is not how it should be. Someone needs to move beyond the discomfort."
  4. I write to help you understand. Chase suggested that some people are called to suffer on a platform, to give others a view of the cosmic struggle of life, to encourage others to press on. With that in mind I share the Grief Share prayer: "May my healing journey spark healing in those around me. Amen.

In light of all this, I will continue to write for now, to mark the trail as DanandNancysjourney continues into a second year.

6 comments:

Cindy Nore said...

Hi Dan - I am so glad to hear of your decision to keep writing on your post. Not only will it help you heal and give us more insight as to what prayers you need, but you are indeed sparking healing in those around you. It is so easy for me to feel totally alone as I work through the earthly loss of my sweet daughter Jess, and while the loss of Nancy as a wife and your children's mother at a young age is different in some ways than the loss of a daughter, you are still writing about and feeling things that "connect" with what I am experiencing and are thus helping me feel more connected to the body of Christ and to God Himself when I read your blogs. Thank you for having the transparency to encourage us to press on, and I will definitely be praying for you and your family as you press on as well. In Christ - Cindy Nore

Ger said...

you and Nancy were always available to listen to some of my heart's cries. Because. of distance, your blog is a great way I can listen to your Heart's cries. I love Listening and praying.
Thank you
Ger

domandkat said...

Yeah!

You are on my Google Reader - and one of the most regular bloggers. It would get downright quiet online some days if you didn't write what you were thinking and feeling..enduring...

You rock, Dan!

Anonymous said...

Dan- For you to involve us in this process, as well as share your heart and your grief with so many who know and care about you-- well it has been a gift beyond words. I'm not sure I would have been this brave or honest. Thanks for making our lives richer towards Christ and his love and mercy by sharing your soul and your suffering---John Freeman

Anonymous said...

YES....still praying, and thankful for your writing! Praying for you and your family this CHRISTmas!

C J Shaffer said...

Dan,
You are an amazing servant and man of faith. I admire your relationship with HIM and the very special journey you took with your best friend, Nancy. It takes a lot of courage for you to put into writing such deep, intense emotions. You can help many others heal by your example. May you continue to walk the journey and allow the rest of us to witness and be inspired by your story. Sending heartfelt blessings to you and your children,
Cindy