Thursday, January 31, 2008

The wait is over!

We are still waiting to hear from the oncologist tomorrow. BUT, last night a long wait ended when KSU beat KU in Manhattan for the first time in 24 years. Nancy suggested I let you know this. We know that some of you have never had the great good fortune of living west of KC. Other readers may hold the illusion that ACC basketball is a big deal.

Anyway, ESPN chose to carry Texas-Texas A&M last night, so we huddled by the laptop for the audio feed from the K-State Radio network. Not that that was really all bad; I grew up listening to Dev Nelson bring the exciting world of college sports to life as I sat near a radio. As good as that was, I believed, that the best was yet to be. See, I knew I was headed for K-State, and expected to find an exciting new life there. College life didn't let me down. I remember literally slapping our legendary coach Jack Hartman on the back after we stormed back to knock off the Jayhawks one February night in old Ahern Field House. I met Irish born Jim Killacky who first introduced me to the fascinating tragedy that is Irish society, Bob Linder demonstrated that following Jesus was not intellectual suicide. A winsome Kappa Delta with bottmomless pools for blue eyes won my heart as she showed me how to quietly walk with God.

But the best lay beyond college as Nancy and I have travelled together for 35 years. 3 1/2 decades of joys, sorrows and surprises. Things I could never have imagined back on the farm listening to the magic sounds of Big Eight basketball. We truly have enjoyed the last week or so of calm She has grown stronger after surgery.

Tonight we are waiting for results to come in, fearing the future, but still convinced (even after all these yearst) that the best is yet to be!!!

3 comments:

Lezlie Andrew said...

Praying for you both today!

Blessings,
Lezlie

Rebecca said...

I love your blogging, you two!! Thank you so much for letting us all in on your journey.

Praying for you guys!
Love,
Rebs xo

Cindy Jeffes said...

Dear KSU fans,
Any other year, I would have been bummed when KSU beat my Kansas Jayhawks. But considering your last 2 months, I was happy you got a smile and thrill over it.
Praying for you both as Nancy starts Chemo tomorrow.
Your friend,
Cindy (Appel) Jeffes