Saturday, June 28, 2008

The Fam

Finally today, Nancy "perked up" after the slump that followed Monday's chemo. She is much more alert and active. She spent a good bit of the morning and afternoon visiting with the kids and grandkids and surfing the Internet for a present for one of the kids. Can't tell you who; don't want to ruin the surprise.

Today, I was struck by how truly remarkable it is to see the way our kids have rallied around us over the past month. Leah has interrupted her new life in Fulton to spend time here in Glenside. When she is around she helps serve as a gatekeeper, laundry lady and general oldest child while taking care of her small kids. KJ has moved into the attic to help out with her unique good humor as "Auntie Shar-Shar," and meal coordinator even as she prepares to spend time in Romania next month. Josh stops by nearly every day to check in on stuff like air conditioner installation and yard work as he continues at Starbucks and building an inner city youth ministry. Our non-biological kids pitch in as Anne brings Lucia by for frequent visits, and stages great sistering excursions to IKEA with KJ and Leah and Chris helps with house projects after he makes the five hour drive between here and Fulton nearly every week. They seem to rotate taking me aside, and asking, "Dad, how are you doing?" and pointing me to Jesus through their compassion.

I have no idea what they are living through as they watch Nancy, the family's "Steel Magnolia," experience the force of this Unwelcome Visitor called cancer. But I am thankful that they so selflessly honor their mother---and me. What I am saying is, we have never been more family than right now. And as I announce this truth, my heart soars. I am encountering a miracle. At a time we could drift apart, go into our corners and suffer alone, we are choosing to walk this difficult path together. And as Josh's recent sermon on mercy reminded me, whenever mercy is shown, God is at work. He is loving Nancy through us and that is truly a sign of the glorious, eternal healing happening in and through their mom, my wife, his daughter. (By the way, you can hear that sermon by going to bridgephilly.org)




Robot Jonah appears in a custome designed by Auntie Shar-Shar





1 comment:

Cindy Nore said...

I'm so glad to read that Nancy is feeling better and has been able to spend time with your kids and grandchildren. Your children sound delightful and are a reflection of the character you and Nancy display yourselves and have developed in your children. How precious that you are feeling the blessings of family during this rough time. My prayers are daily with all of you - having been diagnosed with cancer in 2005 and still under careful watch for recurrence, I know the experience of the unwelcome visitor and pray with all the compassion I can for all of you. Thank you for having the courage to walk this road in public, sharing your struggles and your thanksgiving, reminding us all of the importance of working as the body of Christ to hold each other up when troubles arise.