Sunday, June 29, 2008

CT Scan tomorrow

The weekend is winding up, the Demars family has headed back to Fulton, our friends Gregg and Lynn just left after praying with us and now we are bracing ourselves for tomorrow's test. We are heading into an important intersection as this test should tell us how effective the latest round of chemo has been.
We need lots of prayer.
  1. Pray for Nancy to be able to drink the yucky barium fluid before the scan.
  2. Pray for good results.
  3. And pray for our hearts to trust the Great Healer to work his will for his glory.

Finally, this time is so full of contradictions for me. How can I be so filled with fear and yet so sure that God is in this journey with us? How can I be so disappointed that our empty nest phase has known this disruption, but know such contentment in folding laundry? How can I feel so alone as we face this unwelcome invasion of cancer, and yet feel so surrounded by the loving support of HIS people? I don't understand how to explain the mystery of walking in the land of broken dreams toward the City of Fulfilled Promises....and heading to this week I once again echo the final prayer found in Scripture...."Come Quickly Lord Jesus!"

6 comments:

Ger said...

Brother I hear your heart and I am praying for Nancy and you I love you.
Ger.

Cindy Nore said...

I will be praying for all your specific requests, especially that the chemo has done its work of beating back the cancer. I know how exhausted both of you are in every way possible. Living with the contradictory feelings of fear and supernatural peace, anxiety and faith, isolation and Godly fellowship is exhausting in and of itself. My prayers are daily with you as we look to eternity and the fulfillment of all God has promised. God bless - Cindy

Monica said...

so well written, Dan. Thanks for continuing to update the blog world. i love you guys so much. it brought such huge grins to my face as I played with Jonah at Ikea. He remembered me. :-)

Anonymous said...

Dear Dan,
As usual, your words have captured the searing/purifying/uplifting/downpulling
nature of life in the oven of cancer. We pray for "Shadrach, Meschach and Abednego" faith to know and "see" your Savior and Protector walking in the flames with you.
We continue, as always, contending by your side in prayer.
Love, Roger and Karen

Anonymous said...

Dear Dan (and Nancy),
We have been quietly following your journey and praying for your family since hearing about Nancy's most recent diagnosis. We certainly have no idea what it feels like to be in your shoes. But the eloquent and heart-felt words of your blog today reminded me of our own journey with Grant and, most recently, Chase, and I wanted to share a little of our journey in the hope that it encourages you.

I feel as if God keeps asking me, “Do you trust me?” and I grapple with my answer… Most of the time it’s “No,” because I want to order my life differently than the way He’s ordering it. After all, my Father and I have different ideas about what good is. While for me, it’s to have my family free from health problems, pain, & suffering, for Him, it’s to make us more like Christ, which sometimes entails experiencing those very things. What I want is for the problem to go away; what I believe He wants is for us to receive His love & depend on Him as we muddle through (though that doesn't proclude Him taking away the problem sometimes too!)

It’s true that God doesn’t make mistakes and He always does what’s best for us, but I think my greatest source of comfort in our difficult circumstances has been that He weeps with us in our sorrow. Even though He’s in control of our circumstances, I do believe His heart is torn when we’re sad. He’s not afraid or unable to enter the pain with us. When I think about the excruciatingly painful & lonely ordeal of the torture and death of His very own son, it’s amazing to me that in the Garden of Gethsemane and during the ordeal itself, both the Father and the Son had the power to remove Jesus from the situation but endured to the end – out of love for US! Jesus HAD to endure that horrible experience so that God’s purposes could be accomplished. That’s what reminds me and convinces me of His goodness and love in the circumstances of my life. And it leads me to trust, even when those circumstances urge me not to. I hope it encourages you too. I certainly understand the fear and the “why’s”.

We love you and pray for you, and we genuinely hope you get good results tomorrow.
Love, Wendy Gray

Anonymous said...

Praying for you guys. Thanks so much for your blog. And I am also thrilled to see your kids rally round you in such meaningful ways. Love, Shelly J