Monday, February 11, 2008

Stomaches and thoughts of shame

I am a lot better today. Back to eating normal food. Friday and Saturday were my hardest days with nausea and vomiting. Hopefully, we can do better during my second round on February 25 as we work with the medical team at Abington.

Meanwhile, I think the most emotional times I have experienced during the discovery of cancer, the surgery and the start of chemo have been over my impending hair loss. I am not particularly attached (so to speak)to my greying hair, even after it was colored red almost 2 years ago in Greece.

But I find myself at times attached to the emotion of shame. As a child I was unable to get away from humiliation. That shame was brought on by indecent conduct towards me. That was the cancerous attack upon a child. Sin.

It has only been in the past few years that I have been able to inch my way toward understanding this emotion. Shame is painful. Once again it raises its ugly head. I have had to learn a lot about forgiveness. And the lessons continue as I once again have to inch away from shame.

3 comments:

Jan said...

"I sought the LORD, and he answered me; he delivered me from all my fears. Those who look to him are radiant; their faces are never covered with shame." -Ps. 34:4,5

Malissa said...

Nancy, something tells me you are going to be a beautiful bald lady. You have the right head for it, and the right attitude to carry it off. Plus, you won't have to shave!

Ron Lusk said...

For years I have seen in you a glory as you walked before God. He who is your Glory and the Lifter of your head will not let you be put to shame.