Thursday, December 20, 2007

the kindnesses of strangers....and friends

Remember that line in Streetcar Named Desire "I have always depended on the kindness of strangers?" Anyway, yesterday began like that.

Nancy spent the morning at Abington Hospital doing pre-admittance stuff that included an EKG, and tons of questions. But kindness came through her nurse who also follows Jesus. Hearing that woman's story of finding Christ and His faithfulness to her over the past 30 years provided a cup of cold water on along a rugged road.

When we came home, I braced myself to take on an airline. We had planned to attend the WHM team leaders' meeting in Austrian in early January. But our doctor had already nixed that. So, I wanted to cancel the tickets without losing lots of money. Dealing with this kind of issue has not always been easy in the past.

This time I found myself with a hugely helpful agent who personally arranged a very favorable arrangement with her supervisor, and got him to waive a ticket change fee. After that she told me, "I will pray for your wife." When I assured her that I, too, valued the power of prayer her response let me know that this stranger was someone who also followed HIM.

Last night as we waited for a table at Iron Hill Brewery, our old Ireland Team Leader Hunter Dockery called. He had just heard that Nancy was sick and immediately dialed us. We have been through so many battles together with Hunter and Julie, it was strengthening to know that they were in our ranks as we march forward into this one.

Yes, the arrows flew this day. But HE also showered us with unexpected kindnesses.

1 comment:

Chrissy said...

Praise God that you are seeing His great provision for you! Am praying for you both as you begin stepping out on the road before you. May you truly know the love and mercy of our great King in the weeks ahead!