Wednesday, March 19, 2008

The day before chemo and chemo

We had a great time visiting Leah, Chris and the grandchildren. Returned Sunday the 16th in 4.5 hours. Either there wasn't much traffic or we drove fast. Both.

On Monday I ran around getting groceries and making a couple of meals ahead for when I don't feel like cooking. At one grocery store the sales lady proceeded to sneeze into her hands and then picked up the few items I had and put them into my bag! Before I could speak,(or scream) the deed was done. When I got home I used clorox wipes on everything and prayed.

At another grocery store I ran into an acquaintance, just know the face but not the name. We started talking about all her extended family who have cancer. She told me of her cousin who weighed only 90lbs because nausea kept her from eating. They convinced the cousin to smoke pot for the nausea. The lady takes hold of my arm and leans in near my face and says, "let me know if you need any. I am sure I can find someone to get you some." I was so stunned I think I forgot to pray. Where is the doctor overseeing this patient?

I always see my oncologist before starting my chemo. Her first words to me were, "I didn't hear from you these last 3 weeks." That's because I had to page her twice and ended up in the hospital for 3 days after my first chemo treatment. We are getting the right combo of treatment. My friend Lynn L. just gave me my injection of Neulasta for bone marrow to produce white cells.

Since I am only having 4 chemo treatments I did not get a port or a pic line. The nurses had a heck of a time getting my IV started. My veins kept blowing. Chemo causes this. Because I had lymph nodes removed during surgery, I can only have blood drawn from my right arm. By the 5th time trying and by the 3rd nurse we got a vein. Fortunately I was in one of the recliners used to give IVs or I would have been on the floor. The staff is really great. I will "miss" them. so to speak.

2 comments:

Norman said...

Actually, pot works pretty well, I know from experience with a friend here.
Greetings and blessing from A'dam!

Anonymous said...

hmmm...interesting...